D E M E N T E D P E N G U I N . N E T

November 30, 2006

Oh…crap. Well at least we finally made it

Filed under: Uncategorized — admin @ 7:05 pm

The time finally had come, it was time to move the family down to California with me and start on the next phase of our lives. I left L.A. to fly back to Washington on the afternoon of the 24th (Thanksgiving Day). The next day was spent packing up the rest of the stuff that was still left to load into the trailer and then Nickey and I had our “date-a-versary” that night at the Melting Pot (a yearly tradition to celebrate our first date and our birthdays). Saturday morning I had to get up early to go to the DOL because my drivers license was expired and had to get it renewed – fortunately there weren’t any problems there 😉

We started out on the road just a little after 10am and almost immediately ran into a little fun. Nickey was driving the Yukon with the trailer in tow and I was behind her in the moving truck. About 5 minutes into the drive the trailer started swaying from side to side so much that cars in the lanes around her were getting out of the way. We figured out that she was noticing the sway and then was trying to steer to correct it, which only made it worse. Shortly after that she got the hang of it and we were on our way.

It took us around 15 hours to get to Sacramento, and at about 1am we rolled into the hotel parking lot and were in bed by 2am. We left the next day at around 10am and were in search of food. After breakfast we headed out again and soon found that I-5 in Central California has a lot of random traffic. We would get stuck in traffic in the middle of nowhere for about 20 minutes then all of a sudden for no reason it would just clear up. Only once did I find the source of one of the backups – it was three people and two cops standing on the side of the road just looking at everyone. Hmm.

It was the (I think) third major traffic jam where all the fun really began. I had Zoe in the truck with me and every time we’d slow down she’d get excited and whine. This time she wouldn’t calm down though and I soon found out why. I got her to lay down finally but she got back up, turned and looked at me, and then took a big ol’ dump right there on her blanket. It was a wicked stench too. Fortunately it was on her blanket and we were pretty much stopped so cleaning it up was as easy as could be expected in such a situation. So you’d think that’d be the end of it…no such luck. Before we started moving again she crapped two more times on the seat, got it all over herself, and then tried to jump in my lap to get away from her mess. Opening the window only seemed to swirl the stench around even more. By the time we finally got to a gas station the poop had dried on the seat – and Zoe – and was near impossible to get all of it off.

Unfortunately that wasn’t the worst part of the trip. About an hour away from our new home Nickey called the owner to do the key exchange. He informed her that his agent told him to not give us the keys because the house hadn’t closed yet. Great – here we are after over 20 hours and 2 days of driving and now we don’t have a place to stay. We kind of expected that we wouldn’t be able to stay in the house before it closed anyway, but it was more a matter of how long had he known and why didn’t he tell us when he found out? We ended up staying in the hotel I stayed at before the family moved down here.

Today, finally, the house is ours. Nickey is there now unloading the trailer while I slave away here at the keyboard updating my blog :). It’ll be nice to get settled in and get back to “normal” lives again.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress